The US-led Board of Peace said on July 8 that it would soon begin setting up a “pilot zone” in Gaza that would bring unarmed civilians screened for Hamas links across the Yellow Line into the Israeli-controlled portion of the territory. Meanwhile, Hamas has escalated ceasefire violations in the areas it still controls as the group works to rebuild its forces.

Anti-Hamas organizers in Gaza had hoped June 26 would bring a wave of large demonstrations against the terror group. However, Hamas worked to lower turnout with arrests, threats, and armed street deployments.

Efforts to advance the US-backed peace plan for Gaza have continued amid difficult negotiations over Hamas’s disarmament and the future security structure of the enclave. Talks in Cairo involving Hamas, Egyptian officials, and representatives of the Board of Peace have focused on implementing key provisions related to weapons restrictions and the deployment of an International Stabilization Force.

Despite multiple attempts by Israel to quell the fighting in Gaza and decapitate Hamas’s leadership, the group continues a guerilla-style resistance. The IDF now fights on three active fronts: Lebanon, Iran, and Gaza. But it’s perhaps the forgotten war in Gaza that could resume major hostilities if left unchecked. Bill Roggio speaks with FDD Research Analyst Samuel Ben-Ur about next steps in Gaza.

The Israeli military attacked an apartment in Gaza City, targeting Izz al Din al Haddad, Hamas’s leader in Gaza. Al Haddad is one of the last remaining senior members of Hamas who were responsible for the October 7 attack.

Hamas and other Palestinian terrorists continued to violate the Gaza ceasefire toward the end of April and beginning of May, according to Israeli military reports. Hamas remains adamant that it will not even begin to discuss disarmament before a complete IDF withdrawal from the territory.

A Hamas operative who was killed during the recent war with Israel founded a Gaza-based charity that has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars online. The charity continues to solicit donations, including through a New York-headquartered platform.

Kosovo has moved toward contributing forces for the International Stabilization Force (ISF) mission in Gaza, sending a military team to assess a future deployment area and coordinate with local and multinational officials. The security situation in Gaza remains tense despite a ceasefire, with uncertainty over Hamas’s disarmament.

While the US-Israeli war with Iran has taken center stage, Israel’s Gaza front remained active, despite the US-brokered ceasefire that took effect on October 10 of last year. The Israeli military has documented 22 ceasefire violations by Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist groups since the war with Iran began on February 28.

The Israeli military killed Hamas commander Wasim Atallah Ali in Tripoli on March 5. The IDF said that Ali was responsible for training the group’s branch in Lebanon. His elimination adds to the growing number of Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad members who have been killed in Lebanon by the Israeli military.

Following the Hamas-led attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, Israel has conducted a consistent military campaign against Palestinian terrorist groups in Lebanon. The Israeli military’s recent attack against a Hamas command center in the Palestinian camp of Ayin al Hilweh demonstrates that this approach continues to be Jerusalem’s preferred strategy against Palestinian armed groups that operate on Israel’s northern border.

At a February 19 meeting of the US-backed Board of Peace in Washington, DC, five countries pledged troops to an International Stabilization Force for Gaza, and representatives of 40 nations committed approximately $7 billion in funding. The initiative is part of the second phase of a ceasefire plan launched in October 2025. Clashes between the Israel Defense Forces and militants continue in Gaza, where Israeli forces report ongoing ceasefire violations and operations against Hamas infrastructure.

Hamas warned opposing militias that their days were numbered and that the Israeli military could not protect them. The threat came after some militias have carried out successful operations against Hamas in recent weeks and months.

The Popular Forces captured Adham al Akar, a Hamas company commander in Rafah, and transferred him to Israeli custody. Akar’s capture underscores the growing role of local anti-Hamas militias in conducting offensive operations against the Islamist organization. However, with the ceasefire framework expected to bring further Israeli military withdrawals from Gaza, these groups may face mounting strategic risks.

The search resumed this week for the body of Ran Gvili, a police officer killed on October 7, 2023, during the Hamas invasion of southern Israel. Despite being given only 72 hours to return all hostages, both living and deceased, on October 10, Hamas has yet to do so.

In late December, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) replaced the 2nd Reserve Infantry Brigade and Kfir Brigade in Gaza with the 16th Reserve Infantry Brigade and 188th Armored Brigade, respectively. The IDF continues to deal with threats from terrorists along the Yellow Line in the territory, and an Israeli soldier was wounded on December 24 by an explosive device. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu prepared for a trip to Miami to meet US President Donald Trump.

In contrast to its ambiguity about casualty announcements during the recent war with Israel, Hamas confirmed the killing of veteran senior leader Raed Saad and additional operatives. Israel said Saad held multiple senior positions within Hamas and was among the planners of the October 7 attack.

Israel continues to wait for the last deceased hostage, Israeli police officer Ran Gvili, to be returned from Gaza. Reports indicate that the US is expected to announce members of the Board of Peace in early 2026 and appoint a two-star general to command the International Stabilization Force (ISF). UN Ambassador Mike Waltz visited Israel and discussed the next steps in Gaza with Israeli President Isaac Herzog.

Palestinian terrorists again ambushed Israeli troops in the southern Gaza hotspot of Rafah, injuring five soldiers, one seriously, and marking the first instance of the Israeli military taking casualties in over a month. Palestinians have violated the truce in the territory at least seven times in the past week, according to Israel Defense Forces reports.

Palestinian terrorists violated the ceasefire 14 times between November 22 and 26, according to Israel Defense Forces (IDF) reports. Among these incidents were an attacker using a humanitarian aid route to shoot at Israeli troops and at least three instances of terrorists emerging from tunnels in Rafah on the Israeli-controlled side of the Yellow Line. Palestinian Islamic Jihad also returned the body of a hostage after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused the group of violating the ceasefire by delaying the transfer.

On November 25, Hamas transferred the body of Dror Or, an Israeli hostage whose body had been held in Gaza for more than two years. Israeli troops continued to clash with Hamas terrorist cells in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, as the Israeli military continues reporting ceasefire violations along its Yellow Line of control. The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation ended its work in the territory, noting that it had distributed 187 million meals since May.

Ceasefire on paper. Chaos on the ground. Trump’s 20-point plan promises “peace” in Gaza — but Hamas is already violating the ceasefire, gaming hostage returns, killing rivals, and rearming in tunnels. Bill Roggio is joined by his FDD colleagues Samuel Ben-Ur and Aaron Goren to discuss why disarming Hamas is a fantasy, why an international force risks becoming UNIFIL 2.0, and why Israel may be forced to finish the war.

The US-backed Civil-Military Coordination Center (CMCC) in southern Israel primarily coordinates humanitarian aid entering Gaza and monitors the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. A visit by FDD’s Long War Journal to the site on November 20 showed that US Central Command (CENTCOM) has committed significant resources to this effort, which now involves nearly 50 countries and organizations.

As phase one of the ceasefire in Gaza continued to bend but not break, Israel reported that Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist organizations continue to violate the terms. Notably, another shooting attack on Israeli troops this week led to retaliatory airstrikes across the enclave. Separately, the situation surrounding 200 holed-up Hamas operatives in Rafah remains unresolved.

Hamas rejected UN Security Council Resolution 2803, which endorses US President Donald Trump’s 20-point peace plan, immediately after its passage. The resolution also called for the establishment of the Board of Peace that would temporarily govern Gaza and oversee the creation of an International Stabilization Force (ISF). Continued challenges to the establishment of an ISF and Hamas’s rejection of the resolution and refusal to disarm place the future of the peace plan in question.
