Mohammed al Zawahiri, the younger brother of al Qaeda’s emir, helped stage a protest in front of the French embassy in Cairo today. The protesters denounced France’s intervention in Mali, saying the country was “at war against Islam.”

Robert Fowler, a Canadian diplomat who was kidnapped by Mokhtar Belmokhtar in 2008, considers Belmokhtar’s group to be ideologues. Fowler has also reportedly said that Belmokhtar was the “principal intermediary between AQIM and al Qaeda in Pakistan” at some point.

A recently declassified threat assessment authored by Canadian intelligence in April 2012 concludes that the al Qaeda network still leads the global jihad movement and remains the “primary threat.”

Morocco’s interior minister said that an Ansar al Sharia cell in Morocco “was seeking to obtain financial and military support” from al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).

Die Welt, a German daily, has published an account that jibes with The Long War Journal’s reporting on the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi.

According to a Moroccan press report, Ansar al Sharia Morocco does not hide its sympathy for AQIM, uses the same flag as other Ansar al Sharia chapters, and is suspected of recruiting jihadists to fight in Syria.

An Egyptian group calling itself the Ansar al Sharia Brigades has reportedly posted a list of people to assassinate in the event that the Egyptian government collapses.

MEMRI has published excerpts of Al Jazeera’s interview with Mohamed al Zawahiri, the brother of al Qaeda’s emir. Mohamed al Zawahiri justified 9/11 and al Qaeda’s terrorism in general during the interview. An Egyptian military court acquitted him earlier this year.

Several Turks affiliated with the IJU have been killed while waging jihad in Afghanistan, and others have been arrested in foiled plots to carry out attacks against European and US targets in Europe.

The 2004 Madrid train bombings were not carried out by “lone actors” with no ties to al Qaeda’s international terrorist network, as an FBI commission recently claimed. The terrorists responsible had extensive ties to al Qaeda.

Double agents, although uncommon, have played a significant role in the post-9/11 fight against terrorism. The double agent who broke up a recent al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) plot is just the latest example.

Viktor Bout has been sentenced to 25 years in prison. His amoral flexibility allowed him to serve everyone from al Qaeda and the Taliban, on the one hand, to military contractors in Iraq.

Ambassador Ryan Crocker warns that al Qaeda is still in Afghanistan and will return in greater numbers if the West prematurely leaves.

In an apparent case of mistaken identity, the Egyptian state press reported that Saif al Adel, a high-ranking al Qaeda leader, had turned himself in.

The announcement formalizes the longstanding close working relationship between the two terror groups.

Inayatullah, an Afghan detainee at Gitmo, died of an apparent suicide.

The Pakistanis freed Hassan Ghul, a top al Qaeda operative who gave up vital intelligence on Osama bin Laden while in US custody.

Details of bin Laden’s modus operandi emerge.

A detainee assessment claimed that two al Qaeda operatives had knowledge of the 2001 anthrax attacks in the US, but the report cannot be confirmed.
A profile of Adil Hadi Al-Jaza’iri Bin Hamlili, a takfiri who is accused of working with several terrorist organizations including the Taliban, al Qaeda, the Algerian GIA/GSPC and Takfir Wa Hijra.

A profile of Zamir Muhammad, who was an al Qaeda trainer at the Khalden camp in Afghanistan, worked for top al Qaeda operative Abu Zubaydah, and was allegedly slotted to take part in an attack against Israel at the time of his capture.

A profile of Abdul al Salam al Hilal, a Yemeni who is accused of having foreknowledge of the 9/11 attacks and facilitating the travel of al Qaeda operatives around the globe.

A profile of Guantanamo detainee Khirullah Said Wali Khairkhwa, who was formerly the Taliban’s governor of the Herat province and admittedly met with his Iranian counterparts.

A profile of Guantanamo detainee Ahmed Zaid Salim Zuhair, a Saudi who was convicted on terrorism-related charges in Bosnia.
