The Taliban have scored a major propaganda victory by focusing attacks on Georgian troops based in Helmand province. Yesterday, Georgia’s defense minister said that two bases manned by his country’s troops have been closed and a third will be shut down in several days. From Khaama Press:
Georgian defense minister, Irakli Alasania on Wednesday said the decision was taken following a series of attacks by militants on Georgian military bases.
While speaking in a show “Rustavi-2″, Alasania said we appealed to NATO command on the mesaures that should have been taken to ensure the safety of our troops after the first attack.
Alasania further added, the process of fortification and engineering reinforcement has been already started after the recommendations of the Georgian side had been accepted.
Without elaborating further Alasania confirmed that two bases were closed however he did not name the exact locations due to unknown reasons.
In the meantime he said that the military base which was recently attacked should also be closed in three or four days..
The Taliban killed seven Georgian soldiers in a suicide attack on a base in the Now Zad district on June 6. And in a bombing on May 13 at a base in the Musa Qala district, three more Georgian soldiers were killed.
Georgian soldiers have filled in for US Marines as they are withdrawing from the province.
Are you a dedicated reader of FDD's Long War Journal? Has our research benefitted you or your team over the years? Support our independent reporting and analysis today by considering a one-time or monthly donation. Thanks for reading! You can make a tax-deductible donation here.