US Predator strike on Taliban camp kills 8 in South Waziristan
Video of Taliban fighters loyal to Baitullah Mehsud training at a makeshift camp in the village of Karwan Manza in South Waziristan. Video from AfPax Insider.
US Predator strike aircraft attacked a Taliban training camp run by Baitullah Mehsud in the mountains of South Waziristan.
A swarm of Predators fired at least six missiles at the training camp in Karwan Manza early in the morning. Eight Taliban fighters were killed during the airstrike, according to reports.
The Karwan Manza camp was featured in a Taliban propaganda video obtained by AfPax Insider. In the video, Taliban fighters are seen conducting various firing drills with assault rifles. The location of the camp is easily discerned; there is a large communications tower in the background and power lines are running parallel to the camp.
The Taliban, al Qaeda, and allied terror groups are known to run more than 150 train camps in Pakistan's tribal areas and in the Northwest Frontier Province.
Today's attack is the second in 24 hours. Yesterday's strike on a Taliban training camp in the village of Zangra in the Ladha region killed 12 Taliban and four al Qaeda fighters.
South Waziristan is a major focus of the US air campaign against al Qaeda and the Taliban. Of the 28 US strikes carried out in Pakistan this year, 20 of them took place in South Waziristan.
Baitullah Mehsud's territory has been hit 12 times and Mullah Nazir's areas have been hit eight times. Both Nazir and Baitullah host al Qaeda training camps and shelter senior leaders of the terror group. Seven of the last nine attacks have targeted Baitullah's camps and safe houses.
The US is well on its way to exceeding last year's total of 36 airstrikes in Pakistan.
US attacks inside Pakistan during 2009:
• US Predator strike on Taliban camp kills 8 in South Waziristan
July 8, 2009
• US Predator strike kills 14 Taliban in South Waziristan
July 7, 2009
• 13 Taliban fighters killed in US airstrikes in Pakistan
July 3, 2009
• Scores of Taliban killed in second US strike in South Waziristan
June 23, 2009
• Six killed in US Predator attack in South Waziristan
June 23, 2009
• US strikes target Mullah Nazir in South Waziristan
June 18, 2009
• US kills five in South Waziristan strike
June 14, 2009
• US strikes Taliban, al Qaeda in North Waziristan
May 16, 2009
• US strikes again in South Waziristan
May 12, 2009
• US strike targets Baitullah Mehsud territory in South Waziristan
May 9, 2009
• US strike kills 10 Taliban in South Waziristan
April 29, 2009
• US airstrike targets Taliban training camp in South Waziristan
April 19, 2009
• US Predator kills four in South Waziristan strike
April 8, 2009
• US strikes Haqqani Network in North Waziristan
April 4, 2009
• US launches first strike in Arakzai tribal agency
April 1, 2009
• Latest US strike targets al Qaeda safe house in North Waziristan
March 26, 2009
• US airstrike kills 8 in Baitullah Mehsud's hometown
March 25, 2009
• US launches second strike outside of Pakistan's tribal areas
March 15, 2009
• US missile strike in Kurram agency kills 14
March 12, 2009
• US airstrike kills 8 in South Waziristan
March 1, 2009
• US airstrike in Pakistan's Kurram tribal agency kills 30
Feb. 16, 2009
• US Predator strike in South Waziristan kills 25
Feb. 14, 2009
• US strikes al Qaeda in North and South Waziristan
Jan. 23, 2009
• US hits South Waziristan in second strike
Jan. 2, 2009
• US kills 4 al Qaeda operatives in South Waziristan strike
Jan. 1, 2009
For a summary of US strikes inside Pakistan in 2008, see US strikes in 2 villages in South Waziristan.