Iranian-backed kidnappers demand release of Special Groups commander


Qais and Laith Qazali. Click to view.

The kidnapping of five British contractors - four security guards and a financial consultant - has long been suspected of being an Iranian-backed job. A recent report in the Times Online confirmed an Iranian extremist group has demanded the release of Qais Qazali, the leader of the Iranian-backed Qazali network, in exchange for the five Britons.

"Senior Iraqi government sources say their captors have promised they will not be harmed but any rescue attempt would endanger them," the Times Online reported. "They claimed the hostages will remain prisoners 'for as long as it takes' to secure the release of Qais Qazali, a former chief spokesman for the Shi'ite Mahdi Army."

The British have been unable to secure the release of their citizens as the US military has refused to release Qazali. "Talks aimed at freeing the hostages are believed to have reached deadlock this month after British negotiators said they had no power to free Qazali," said the Times Online.

Qazali is not a low-level Shia extremist commander, but one of the most senior Iranian-backed terrorists captured in Iraq. Qazali, along with Ali Mussa Daqduq, Mahmud Farhadi, and Azhar al Dulaimi are the four most senior Iranian Qods Force agents captured or killed in Iraq since Coalition forces began targeting the Iranian networks. US Special Forces captured senior members of Iran's Qods Force in Baghdad in December 2006 and Irbil in January 2007. Iranian surrogates - the Qazali and Sheibani networks now collectively referred to as the Special Groups - stepped up their attacks on Iraqi and Coalition forces in January 2007.

Daqduq is a senior Hezbollah operative who was tasked by Iran to organize the Special Groups and "rogue" Mahdi Army cells along the lines of Lebanese Hezbollah. He is a 24-year veteran of Hezbollah and commanded both a Hezbollah special operations unit and Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah's security detail.

Farhadi was the commander of the Zafr Command, one of three units subordinate to the Ramazan Corps of the Qods Force. The Ramazan Corps is responsible for Qods Force operations in Iraq. As the Zafr Commander, Farhadi was responsible for all Qods Force operations in north-central Iraq, including cross-border transfers of weapons, fighters, and money.

Azhar al Dulaimi is the mastermind and tactical commander of the complex attack on the Provincial Joint Coordination Center in Karbala on January 20 as well as other high-profile terror attacks in Iraq. Five US soldiers were killed during the Karbala attack and subsequent kidnapping attempt. Dulaimi was killed in a raid in Baghdad last summer.

In March 2007, Coalition forces captured Qais Qazali, his brother Laith Qazali, and several other members of the Qazali network. Qais Qazali was a spokesperson and senior aide to Muqtada al Sadr and has been since identified as a senior member of the Special Groups.

The Qazali network conducted sophisticated operations against US forces at the Karbala Joint Provincial Coordination Center, kidnapping and killing five US soldiers during the aborted operation. Coalition and Iraqi Security Forces have been heavily targeting these "Special Groups" and "Secret Cells" since General David Petraeus' April 26 briefing on the Qazali and Sheibani networks.

Recently, the US military and the Iraqi government have praised Iran for slowing the flow of weapons into Iraq. Attacks with the deadly Iranian-made explosively formed projectile mines, or EFPs, have decreased dramatically and new caches are not being found. The US recently released nine Iranians held in Iraq, including two Qods Force officers detained in Irbil earlier this year.



Advertisement:


READER COMMENTS: "Iranian-backed kidnappers demand release of Special Groups commander"

Posted by David M at November 19, 2007 12:26 PM ET:

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 11/19/2007 A short recon of what's out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

Posted by Marlin at November 19, 2007 1:48 PM ET:

I wonder how sympathetic the U.S. will be to helping the British when you have developments like the following still occurring.

---------------------------------

Iranian-made weapons were among a large cache of arms and ammunition found during operations in a Shi'ite militia stronghold south of Baghdad, the Iraqi army said on Monday.

Major-General Jamil Kamel al-Shimari, a senior officer in the 8th Iraqi Army Division, said the cache was the biggest store of weapons found since the launch of Operation Lion Pounce on Saturday.

The stockpile, which included roadside bombs, rocket-propelled grenades, mortar bombs and explosives, was uncovered in Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad.

Four suspected militants were arrested at the scene, among 74 who have been detained since the operation began.

Reuters: Iraq army squeezes militants in Shi'ite south push

Posted by Rhyno327/lrsd at November 27, 2007 9:02 AM ET:

If there was no truth to the Iranian's supplying arms and sending agents into Iraq, why would the SAS, and JSOC risk thier operators lives by sending them into Iran to capture, kill and destroy weapons destined for Iraq? The Iranians are guilty as sin, and I would let his corpse be released, but thats it. Those hubs for the smuggling of weapons and fighters are close to the Iraqi border, and its only now coming to light our SF are conducting ops in Iran and being pro-active. A good move. They must pay.....