If confirmed, this would represent another major blow to al Qaeda’s Uqba bin Nafi Battalion.

AQIM’s Uqba bin Nafi battalion has now claimed two attacks this month, tying the number of its total attacks for all of last year.

Al Qaeda’s Uqba bin Nafi Battalion claimed its first attack since October 2018.

The army will be protecting government installations, following an incident in which protesters burned a security headquarters near the Algerian border, prompting police to flee.

The Treasury Department announced today that three Islamic State officials have been sanctioned. One is a senior official in the “caliphate’s” oil and gas division. A second was the deputy leader of the Mujahideen Shura Council in the Environs of Jerusalem before swearing allegiance to Abu Bakr al Baghdadi and agreeing to establish a foothold for the Islamic State in Gaza. The third is the group’s “chief religious advisor.”

While Tunisia has made claims the Uqba bin Nafi battalion has been defeated, the al Qaeda group remains a threat to the country’s security.

Official says commander of group that massacred 21 in Tunisia is dead
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
Twenty of the victims were visiting from Western nations and elsewhere, which the Islamic State referred to as “Crusader countries.”

Gunmen storm Tunisian museum, leaving 19 dead
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
The army shelled terrorist “hideouts” in mounts Salloum and Samama in Kasserine. A Libyan National Army spokesman identified a Tunisian as the leader of Islamic State militants in Tripoli; Tunisia is one of the largest sources of jihadist fighters.
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
Tunisia arrested 32 Islamists for “planning terror attacks against buildings belonging to the country’s Ministry of Interior, security posts and civilian targets.” A general strike was declared at the country’s two main border crossings with Libya in protest of excessive force by police.
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
The Interior Ministry announced that it arrested 32 extremists who were plotting spectacular attacks on “civilian and military sites around the country.” Operations to apprehend more suspects remain ongoing in Kasserine, near the Algerian border.
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
The Interior Ministry announced that security forces broke up a terrorist plot to “attack vital sites in the southern and eastern parts of Tunisia;” 15 people were arrested. The new government will be announced on Feb. 2.
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
Tunisia’s Ambassador to Libya Ridha Boukadi said that two journalists kidnapped by the Islamic State in Libya were alive, despite the jihadist group’s announcement of their execution. National Guard units arrested a “‘dangerous’ terrorist” in an ambush conducted in Sidi Bouzid.
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
President Beji Caid Essebsi urged support for Tunisian security forces in the country’s “war on terrorism.” A soldier was wounded in the neck after he was attacked with a “sharp object by unknown persons” in a suburb of Tunis.
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
Police reportedly arrested two “terror suspects” in the city of Gafsa and broke up a “terror cell in Medjez El Bab (Beja province) that was planning attacks on public facilities, police and army forces.” The Tunisian National Army launched counterterrorism operations in Forsane and the Mount Ouergha areas.
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)
Libya’s ISIS branch claims execution of 2 Tunisian journalists
/assets/images/featured-image-default.jpg)