In a statement released today and promoted on jihadist forums, Ajnad Misr (Soldiers of Egypt) claimed responsibility for a small-scale bombing attack in the Cairo area. At least six Egyptian policemen were wounded in the attack, AFP reported.
“Initial investigations show that two improvised bombs were thrown at the same time at a Central Security Forces] truck, damaging its door and breaking the window of another private car passing by,” according to Al Ahram. A group called “Walla3” also said it was responsible for the attack, Mada Masr reported.
Ajnad Misr, which formally announced itself on Jan. 23, has said it is engaged in a campaign to target “criminal” elements of Egypt’s current regime. Today’s attack is the seventh attack in the Cairo area claimed by Ajnad Misr.
In today’s statement, which was translated by the SITE Intelligence Group, the group said that attack showed that the “the forces of the criminal organizations … are not safe from the punishment that pursues them.”
“Our raids upon them will continue as long as their criminal behavior continues,” the new group continued. The group, like Ansar Jerusalem (Ansar Bayt al Maqdis), called on those serving in the security services to defect. “They should direct [their] weapons towards the criminal organizations,” Ajnad Misr urged. “Events are accelerating and the opportunity [to defect] may not last long,” the group concluded.
Ajnad Misr has previously stated that it is prepared to receive “information about the movements of the officers and personnel of the criminal services, and their addresses.” In its third statement, the jihadist group asked that “the addresses [be] detailed as much as possible and contain a photo of the wanted criminal to receive equitable punishment.”
Are you a dedicated reader of FDD's Long War Journal? Has our research benefitted you or your team over the years? Support our independent reporting and analysis today by considering a one-time or monthly donation. Thanks for reading! You can make a tax-deductible donation here.