ISAF soldier killed in latest insider attack in eastern Afghanistan


A member of the Afghan National Security Forces gunned down a soldier from the International Security Assistance Force in the fourth green-on-blue, or insider attack, recorded in Afghanistan in less than a month.

ISAF noted the death of one of its soldiers in a press release; few details were provided on the attack.

"An International Security Assistance Force service member was killed today when an individual wearing an ANSF uniform shot the ISAF service member in eastern Afghanistan," the Coalition command reported in a press release.

"ISAF and Afghan National Security Forces have secured the scene," the press release continued. "ISAF and ANSF forces are conducting an investigation, and more details will be released as appropriate."

The attack took place in Sharana city, the capital of Paktika province, Reuters reported. Two American soldiers were shot, an Afghan official told the news agency, and one was killed. According to The New York Times, the attacker escaped.

US soldiers operate in Paktika province, which is a stronghold of the al Qaeda-linked Haqqani Network.

Today's attack is the fourth since Sept. 21, when an Afghan National Army soldier opened fire on US special forces near Gardez in Paktia province, killing three and wounding one more before being shot by US forces in return fire [see LWJ report, Afghan soldier kills 3 ISAF special forces troops in Paktia].

Less than a week later, on Sept. 26, an Afghan National Army soldier at a military training base in the Gerda Serai district in Paktia province opened fire on a US soldier, killing one and wounding several others [see Threat Matrix report, Another green-on-blue attack in Paktia]. The gunman was killed immediately after the attack. The attack was quickly claimed by the Taliban in a text message.

And on Oct. 5, an "alleged contracted security guard" gunned down an ISAF soldier ona base in Zabul province [see LWJ report, Senior ISAF member killed in green-on-blue attack in southern Afghanistan].

According to The Long War Journal's statistics, today's green-on-blue attack is the 12th so far this year; 14 ISAF soldiers have been killed in the 12 attacks.

Since Jan. 1, 2008, there have been a total of 84 attacks, resulting in the deaths of 140 Coalition personnel and the wounding of 157 more. Deaths from insider attacks so far this year amount to nearly 10% of total Coalition casualties, down from a high of 15% last year, but significantly higher than the 6% in 2011. For more information, see LWJ special report, Green-on-blue attacks in Afghanistan: the data.

The relative downturn is likely due to the introduction of security measures in 2012 such as the use of "guardian angel" soldiers to overwatch US troops, and to reduced partnering between Afghan and Coalition forces as the drawdown continues. From a peak of level of about 101,000 soldiers in 2011, the US troop presence in Afghanistan had been reduced to 63,000 by July, and that number is expected to drop to 34,000 by February 2014. On June 18, overall security responsibility for Afghanistan was officially transferred to Afghan forces.

Green-on-blue data remains "classified" by ISAF

While 12 green-on-blue attacks have been reported so far this year by The Long War Journal, the likelihood is that the number is much higher. ISAF has not disclosed the overall number of green-on-blue incidents in which ISAF soldiers were wounded by Afghan security personnel, or the attacks on ISAF personnel that did not result in casualties.

ISAF told The Long War Journal in March 2012 that "these statistics ... [are ] ... classified."

"[A]ttacks by ANSF on Coalition Forces ... either resulting in non-injury, injury or death ... these stats as a whole (the total # attacks) are what is classified and not releasable," Lieutenant Colonel Jimmie Cummings, ISAF's former Press Desk Chief, told The Long War Journal. Cummings said that ISAF is "looking to declassify this number."

Inquiries as to why the overall statistic is classified went unanswered. More than one and a half years later, the data remains classified.

Many green-on-blue attacks remain unreported. For instance, one such attack, on March 25 in Kandahar province, is known only because a reporter from The Long War Journal was present when the incident took place. In that attack, Afghan local policemen opened fire on a US base after US personnel tried to arrest a known Taliban commander at the ALP checkpoint [see LWJ report, The anatomy of green-on-blue tensions in Panjwai].

Insider attacks a key part of Taliban strategy

The Taliban claim to have stepped up their efforts to infiltrate Afghan security forces as well as "lure" and encourage Afghan security personnel to attack ISAF troops and advisers.

In October 2012, Taliban emir Mullah Omar released an Eid al-Adha message that urged followers to "[i]increase Increase your efforts to expand the area of infiltration in the ranks of the enemy and to bring about better order and array in the work." The statement continued: "We call on the Afghans who still stand with the stooge regime to turn to full-fledged cooperation with their Mujahid people like courageous persons in order to protect national interests and to complete independence of the country. Jihadic activities inside the circle of the State militias are the most effective stratagem. Its dimension will see further expansion, organization and efficiency if God willing."

Omar had previously addressed the issue of green-on-blue attacks at length in a statement released on Aug. 16, 2012. Omar claimed that the Taliban "cleverly infiltrated in the ranks of the enemy according to the plan given to them last year," and urged government officials and security personnel to defect and join the Taliban as a matter of religious duty. He also noted that the Taliban have created the "Call and Guidance, Luring and Integration" department, "with branches ... now operational all over the country," to encourage defections. [See Threat Matrix report, Mullah Omar addresses green-on-blue attacks.]

At the end of April, the Taliban announced that green-on-blue attacks would be a key part of this year's strategy.

"This year's spring operation, in accordance with its combat nature, will consist of special military tactics quantity and quality wise while successful insider attacks, to eliminate foreign invaders, will be carried out by infiltrating Mujahideen inside enemy bases in a systematic and coordinated manner," the Taliban announced on April 27.



Advertisement:


READER COMMENTS: "ISAF soldier killed in latest insider attack in eastern Afghanistan"

Posted by Scott J at October 13, 2013 3:43 PM ET:

I honestly think a new paradigm must be put in place going forward, for taking casualties like this is not only unacceptable, but intolerable.

1) an end to combat and police patrols in "partnered" groups. Instead of advising patrols during the patrols, the role would be to advise before the patrol and do after-action critiques after the patrol on ....

2) secure ISAF-only bases, where Afghans check their weapons at the gate and re-arm on their way out.

3) tightly controlled firearms range training for Afghans with lethal overwatch at all times,

4) other tactical training done with non-firing training guns,

5) necessary meetings with Afghan army and police officials held on ISAF bases under safe conditions (see #2)

6) etc, etc ...

In other words, a whole set of procedures designed to insulate ISAF personnel from the risk of being murdered by armed Afghan army and police personnel or imposters.

We can do this and still quite robustly support them, for they are going to need it.

Posted by saurabh gupta at October 14, 2013 4:20 AM ET:

Innocent lives are lost in war as a result of the dirty politics. When will the talibans realize that killing innocent people is not zihaad.

They can never understand the pain and anguish of the family of people they have slaughtered.

Posted by Kent Gatewood at October 14, 2013 2:47 PM ET:

Have any of the g on b attacks involved Afghan Commando units?

Posted by Dj1987 at October 14, 2013 10:54 PM ET:

This is so sad. My husband was 20 feet away from this happening. It is even more sad the lack of coverage this poor family has been given. Shame on them more worried about stupid issues than the loss of those who serve and risk their lives for us.

Posted by Ed S. at October 15, 2013 11:17 AM ET:

Each time I read a story about a death from a Blue on Green attack it makes me more upset that we need to try and bring stability to a Country that does not like us and does not even want us there. We are losing some of our best in these attacks. Every one of these deaths takes away someone that breaks so many hearts here at home. I have a Grand Son and a nephew that served multiple deployments both in Iraq and Afghanistan and we were fortunate to get them both back home safely. I can only imagine how our troops wonder each time they are training if they are safe or dealing with someone that does not want them there. God Bless all of these young people that are trying to help but I think they need to be brought home before we lose any more to people that only know violence.

Posted by Ryan at October 16, 2013 8:53 AM ET:

@Kent -

Unfortunately yes, the SOKs (Special Ops Kandaks, Commando/SF combined) have been involved with 2. One last month, and one in Apr of '11.

Posted by Birbal Dhar at October 18, 2013 8:06 PM ET:

Funny the taliban say they are resisting foreign invaders, when their religion is an invader from Saudi Arabia