An unidentified jihadist has released an audio recording saying that Ansar Bayt al Maqdis, the most prolific terrorist group in Egypt, has pledged allegiance to Abu Bakr al Baghdad’s Islamic State.

ISIS may be eyeing up Egypt as its next target, experts say

ISIS guides Egyptian militants, expanding its influence

Under pressure, Sinai jihadists threaten more beheadings

The al Qaeda-linked jihadist group released video of the IED attack that killed 11 soldiers in the North Sinai.

A little more than one week after the Islamic State released a video featuring the beheading of an American photojournalist, Ansar Jerusalem has released a video online showing four Egyptian civilians being executed in the same manner. The video marks an escalation in the tactics Ansar Jerusalem is willing to broadcast in its propaganda.

Ansar Jerusalem says that, contrary to claims made by Egyptian security officials, Shadi el Menai has not been killed and is not the group’s leader. Ansar Jerusalem says the Egyptian government does not even know who the real leader of the group is.

There are reports that Shadi el Menai, a leader in near Ansar Jerusalem, has been killed in the northern Sinai. His death has not been confirmed. Indeed, little is known about el Menai’s precise role in Ansar Jerusalem.

Hamas maintains links with Sinai jihadists, Israeli security sources say

If Ansar Jerusalem takes credit for today’s suicide attacks, it would be the group’s first claimed attack since bombing a tourist bus in Taba in mid-February. In addition, the two bombings would be the fifth and sixth suicide attacks by the jihadist group since September 2013.

In Cairo, one family’s story shows rise of radical threat

It is unclear whether the suspected jihadist is linked to Ansar Jerusalem. At least four AJ fighters are known to have fought in Syria prior to returning to Egypt, where they died.

Ansar Jerusalem has yet to comment on today’s reported events. Since 2011, the Sinai-based jihadist group has confirmed dead only 25 named members.

The video’s release comes a day after the US designated Ansar Jerusalem as a Foreign Terrorist Organization and a Specially Designated Global Terrorist entity.

The State Department today added the Sinai-based jihadist group Ansar Jerusalem to the US government’s lists of designated terrorist organizations. Although State says the group “generally maintains a local focus,” its attacks are entirely consistent with al Qaeda’s global jihad.

A video confession aired during today’s press conference had one of the Ansar al Sharia members saying he had been tasked by Abu Abdullah of Ansar Jerusalem to form the new group.

Amid Egypt’s Sweeping Crackdown, North Sinai Residents in Crossfire

The magazine will be released regularly on Thursdays and will include various statements and events from the past week.

Earlier this week, Egyptian media outlets reported that authorities had begun the construction of a wall around el Arish to help stop the infiltration of militants.

Ansar Jerusalem said those killed had fought admirably against Egypt’s security forces on March 19 as they were outnumbered and outgunned. Two of the six had fought in the ongoing conflict in Syria, according to the jihadist group.

Egypt’s Invisible Insurgency

The Interior Ministry’s statement did not specify the names of the jihadists captured or killed, but said they had been involved in a number of recent attacks in the Cairo area.

According to the group, its fighters targeted 28 security personnel in three of Egypt’s governorates. A group under the same name appeared in early March with a founding statement.
-thumb-560x434-2928.jpg)
Disillusioned foreign fighters abandon rebel ranks in Syria

“Continue your journey and aim your strikes to hit the economy and tourism, for by striking these two the tyrants will wither and recede,” the Mujahideen Shura Council in the Environs of Jerusalem advised its “brothers” in Ansar Jerusalem.

Egyptian militants outwit army in Sinai battlefield

In its first eulogy statements in over two months, Ansar Jerusalem confirmed the deaths of two of its members. The two jihadists were the 18th and 19th named members whose deaths have been confirmed by the group.
