« Statements pour in for 2 Salafi leaders recently killed in Gaza | Main | Ansar Jerusalem threatens to attack Israel for killing top Salafi leaders in Gaza »

'North Waziristan operation not on the cards'

Interior Minister Rehman Malik has just informed us that the Pakistani military is not about to launch an operation in North Waziristan following the Movement of the Taliban's admitted assassination attempt against Malala, the Pakistani schoolgirl who was shot in Swat. From Dawn's article today (from which the title of this post was shamelessly stolen):

Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Monday said that no preparations were underway for a military operation in the North Waziristan tribal region, DawnNews reported. ...

He said the impression that a military operation for North Waziristan was being planned in the wake of the attack on Malala was wrong.

Malik made the statement just four days after teasing everyone (or at least those still gullible to the Pakistani promise of a North Waziristan operation) when he claimed that the government was considering launching an operation in the tribal agency as it was "a hub of terrorists." Maybe North Waziristan is no longer "a hub of terrorists"?

I've written extensively on Pakistan's "promises" to clear out North Waziristan, and the continual flacking by US officials for the Pakistani leaders who have made the promises. See Threat Matrix report, Pakistan to launch another Potemkin offensive in North Waziristan, from Aug. 3, 2012, for the details.

Just five days after that report in August, the Pakistani military said that a new operation in North Waziristan was not needed, as aptly named operation "Tight Screw" was already putting the "squeeze" on the Haqqani Network and other terror groups there. (But of course there has been no operation in North Waziristan since 2006). Perhaps Malik forgot about the supposedly ongoing operation "Tight Screw" when he said today that an operation isn't in the cards? Someone in Pakistan really should get the story straight....

READER COMMENTS: "'North Waziristan operation not on the cards'"

Posted by EddieD. at October 15, 2012 8:46 PM ET:

We all knew PAQistan would do nothing. This is normal operating procedures for them.

Posted by KaneKaizer at October 15, 2012 11:22 PM ET:

I'm... I'm stunned... I just can't believe it... I mean, I thought that... my God. [/sarcasm]

Posted by mike merlo at October 15, 2012 11:44 PM ET:

"...tight screw...?" Huh? Sounds more like Screwed Again. Maybe the US should cut its own deal with Haqqani's & help them secede from Pakistan.

Posted by Gerald at October 16, 2012 11:26 AM ET:

Funny how this news is not at all shocking!

Posted by Scott P. at October 16, 2012 12:26 PM ET:

Shocking! I'm going to need some help getting my jaw off my desk.

Posted by Paul D at October 16, 2012 12:50 PM ET:

Why would Pakistan attack North Waziristan when they have all their allies/proxies there?

Posted by Bill Roggio at October 16, 2012 8:17 PM ET:

Just glad I wasn't the only one who was shocked, shocked....

Posted by Vyom at October 17, 2012 3:40 AM ET:

Initially I thought the date was October 15, 2022.

No my eyes are okay and so is my brain. But I am expecting same NEWS in 2022. Perhaps from a different minister or a dictator.

Posted by irebukeu at October 18, 2012 2:47 PM ET:

It turns out Operation 'tight screw' is only one half of an double operation. Another operation dubbed "the American taxpayer" is scheduled to begin as soon as American funding for the previous operation ends.

Posted by ali erfani at October 18, 2012 4:13 PM ET:

Its not difficult neither for taliban nor for Army of pakistan if any operation occurs,because army is not going to kill the good ones and the good ones will just move to another agency perfectly kurram.

Posted by mike merlo at October 20, 2012 3:46 PM ET:

@irebukeu
thank you for your insight. Now I know why I'm bending over

Posted by bob at October 22, 2012 11:39 PM ET:

There is a simple way to solve Pakistan's double dealings with the US. Just replace all aid, military and civilian, with a shopping list of terrorists. We can afford to pay a handsome price for the terrorists we want eliminated. Pakistan can deliver them dead or alive--we won't be picky. In this way, the Pakistani military can become a profit center for the entire country, earning hundreds of millions of dollars for their economy every year.